When you think of self care, what comes to mind? Do you often even hear the words “self-care” in a conversation? Self-care ideally means any activity that you take part in that allows you to take charge of your mental, emotional and physical health. Ten years ago, it wasn’t a very popular term.
It was also often thought to be an alternative form of explaining how to care for the elderly. It is truly a relief that self care is no longer a thing of the past and is now openly discussed and practised. As a busy young adult, however, it might be difficult finding the time to really practice self care; as important as it is. It can also be harmful to not practice self care at all. If this is you, no need to worry. In this post, I will list simple ways to show you how to practice self-care like a bawse.
“Don’t sacrifice yourself too much, because if you sacrifice too much there’s nothing else you can give and nobody will care for you.” ~ Karl Lagerfeld
How To Practice Self Care Like a BAWSE
“Bawse” is a term that was coined by famed YouTuber Lilly Singh. A bawse is someone who doesn’t just go along for the ride, they take control of the reigns and steer the car in whatever direction they need to go.
They don’t just try their best to cope with life, they slay it. I am an aspiring bawse and I can tell that you are too and in order to take on the world, we need to find simple ways to take care of ourselves.
Don’t be intimidated by the list as each activity can be done in less than ten minutes a day. Let’s get started.
Can You Commit To Taking Care Of Yourself?
As I said before, I know that you a busy young adult trying to be successful in your field. I also know that that you only have so much time to rest and recoup after a long day at the office.
Well you’re in luck. I promise you that if you can commit to doing at least ONE of these activities per day, you will see a vast improvement in the way you feel each day.
Your eyes will glow brighter. Your smile will be that much whiter and you will accomplish, so much you’ll surprise even yourself.
How Can You Practice Self Care Like A BAWSE?
Self care can be as difficult as you make it.
Below I have listed a few simple activities that I do on a daily basis, and can say that they have helped me immensely.
I believe in the power of doing even one of these on a regular basis, and hope that they will help you as well:
- Start your day right with a healthy breakfast.
- Give yourself enough time to take a nice, long bath.
- Smile at yourself in the mirror and say “You’re amazing!”
- Get dressed properly for work and present your best self.
- Listen to your favourite music on the way to work.
- Surround yourself with positive, inspirational individuals.
- Practice correct posture as you sit at your desk throughout the day.
- Take breaks from work and take a nice walk to clear your thoughts.
- Eat a healthy yet delicious lunch.
- Disconnect from social media for at least one hour.
- Go to the mirror and remind yourself that you got this!
- Learn a new skill or start a new hobby.
- Have a personal spa day at home or visit the spa.
- Reflect on all your accomplishments and be thankful.
- Volunteer your time to help someone else in need.
- Binge watch your favourite movies without disruptions.
- Exercise for at least 15 minutes.
- Dance like a goofball in your underwear, glasses and all.
- Have a great, moving conversation with a loved one.
- Take a moment to watch the sunrise and sunset.
- Look for beauty in the midst of all the chaos.
- Put on clean, comfy pajamas and cozy socks, put your hair up and relax in bed.
- Moisturize your face and skin, and apply a face mask.
- Make your favourite meal and slowly enjoy it.
- Clean and organize your living space.
- Get a good night’s rest.
- Write about your thoughts and feelings in a daily journal.
- Break down your long-term goals into small ones and accomplish them one at a time.
- Stop comparing yourself to others and embrace where you are in your journey.
- Give yourself a pat on the back for a job well-done.
Self Care And You
I know that for many of us, the excuse for not practicing self care is that we’re just too busy. I completely understand that but it is very possible to practice self care even when you’re busy.
In this video, I give you some super simple tips to help get you started.
You’ll realize that self care is truly as easy as you make it.
There you have it. Here are my tips on how to practice self-care like a BAWSE. If you enjoyed this post about practising self care, then you’ll enjoy these tips on how to be good to yourself every day.
Also, let me know. Do you practice self care? What are some other ways we can practice self-care like a BAWSE? Did any of them make the list? Please comment below. Please also like and share this post, as well as support me on all my social media.
Until next time. Peace, love and prayers.